Sunday, November 21, 2010

Taylor Spatial Frame Removed

Kyle and his parents drove down to Bethesda on Monday, November 15th.  It was time to get the Taylor Spatial Frame removed.  He was scheduled for pre-op appointments on Tuesday and then was set up for surgery on Thursday.  I arrived on Wednesday evening and had the opportunity to be with Kyle and his parents for this monumental surgery. 

It was a huge success!  We now see Kyle wearing normal pants, walking around like any other guy on crutches, and quite frankly, it feels good for everyone.  Seeing him without the frame has brought us all more relief and excitement than we expected.  Life is starting to take a turn back to what we used to know, and that is the most wonderful blessing. 


Kyle's leg in the Taylor Spatial Frame right before surgery.


Kyle sitting in the waiting area before going in for surgery to remove the frame.  


Kyle leaving the out-patient surgical ward at NNMC after the successful removal of the Taylor Spatial Frame.  He had many people helping him afterwards and he left with a large compression boot on his foot that he is supposed to wear when outside of home.  


Elsie and Bill's neighbors cooked dinner with enchiladas, complete with a chocolate cake dessert, and home-made welcome home signs from their children for Kyle after his final surgery in Bethesda.  The food and support has been amazing, and this sure was a special evening and it was very much appreciated, thank you.  


Kyle begins to unwrap the dressing of his leg late Saturday morning.  


Kyle cutting away the dressing while sitting in the living room.


Kyle looks over to his mom, Elsie, father Bill, and good friend and neighbor, Jess, with a huge smile on his face after undressing his leg for the first time after his surgery.  It is the first time any of us have seen his leg bare without any metal sticking out of it and without any bandages since before his deployment in May.  Needless to say, it was amazing.  


Kyle happily checks out his leg.  


Kyle's leg with the bloody pin holes showing, but the leg is looking great.  


Elsie and Kyle take a moment to look at his leg and feel some relief.  It has been a long road for all, and today was a remarkable day.  Congratulations Kyle for a wonderful battle that you have successfully conquered.  We are all so tremendously proud of you. 

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It is so amazing to see you making such a remarkable recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Kyle! I'm one of Sarah's friends that did the Tough Mudder yesterday and we actually talked about this at mile 9 and what a miracle it was and how tough you've been during your recovery and it served as an inspiration for us to keep on going and grit through what we had left. You're inspiration to a lot more people than you probably know. So glad you and your family will have so many things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia Montague-CrippsFebruary 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

    Congratulations! My names is Julia, I'm 15 and i live in New Zealand, and I'm fast approaching my turn in the TSF. I'm just trying to get comfortable with the idea of what's to come, and your story and pictures have really helped. Just wanted to say well done and thanks for sharing your remarkable story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my name is Zachary. I have recently suffered an injury shocking similar to Kyle's. While not at war, I was hit when we had accidental discharge at the range, the round entered the back of my calf and shattered my tiba. This Monday Dec 5th, is my 8th surgery and if my skin graft looks good they will attach the Taylors Spatial Frame (Which you said was Kyles worse day since being shot, bummer). Then only 7 months in the frame and ill be back in fighting shape. Anyway hope he is doing well.

    Im curious, what did y'all do for pants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for my delayed response - I hope you are healing well and are comfortable. Sorry to hear about your recent injury and thus multiple surgeries. If you want to send your email address I can have Kyle contact you directly. Until then, he wore the snap up Adidas workout pants all the time. Best wishes, Kristen

      Delete
    2. I too have had a similar journey. I had ,4 compound fractures on my left tibia/fibia. I would very muck like to know about the rest of your journey ey please I'm suffering. I just got my spatial frame off two months ago and I'm still not able to weight bear. I walk on my crutches with and without my boot and I just do t know what to do really. My next ortho appointment is the end of January. I'm trying.to see people's journey after the actual frame
      .

      Delete
    3. For pants, I wore open leg pants. It wasn't easy.

      Delete